i’ve been wanting to make this recipe for a loooong time. so long in fact, that i bought all the ingredients a while ago but never found the time to make it, so i had to freeze what i could in efforts to be thrifty.
i originally stumbled upon the recipe here (thanks to SkinnyTaste) and immediately started drooling. this has all the workings of comfort food with covertly hidden veggies (which is perfect because ace only eats green beans and hidden veggies).
so i grabbed the stuff from the freezer, thawed it all out (hoping i had everything i needed), and went to town. for the real recipe, click the link above. for my impromptu version, check out the following:
Sausage Butternut Squash Pasta
- -11 oz (4 links) spicy chicken or turkey Italian sausage
- -1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- -1 tbsp butter
- -10 oz pasta of your choice
- -1/4 cup shallots, minced (i didn’t have those, so i used 1/4th an onion)
- -3 cloves garlic, minced
- -2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- -2 tbsp fresh shaved parmesan cheese (i didn’t have this either so i threw in some italian cheese blend and sprinkle parm)
- -4 sage leaves, sliced thin (i lacked this one too. used oregano and basil instead because i like them and had them in the cabinet)
- -kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- -chicken stock (optional- you can use water from your pasta if you don’t have stock on hand)
- boil the squash in a large pot of water and cook until soft (my squash was finely chopped and took about 5 mins). drain squash (if you scoop it out with a slotted spoon, you can use the water to boil your noodles… how eco friendly). put squash in blender and blend away until smooth.
- boil the pasta according to the package.
- while you are boiling away, saute the sausage over medium heat until it’s browned. make sure you use a spoon to break it into chunks. because sausage skin grosses me out, i used this handy trick sissy taught me. you just slice the links longways and then you can peel the casing off. this makes it easier to break up the sausage (and i have found cheaper than buying sausage without the casings), although you could probably just slice them and life would be good.
- reduce heat to medium-low and melt the butter. saute the onion (or shallots) and garlic for about 5 minutes. add the squash puree. season with salt and pepper (i seasoned with a heavy hand and added the oregano and basil)
- throw in the spinach and mix it all up. add chicken stock or pasta water until the sauce is at the consistency you like (about 1/2-1 cup). it will feel like a pretty thick and chunky “sauce”. that’s ok.
- toss with your noodles and sprinkle with cheese
- eat it up.
now, i can’t really eat noodles so i poured mine over spaghetti squash and it was yummy. just like other pastas, this one was significantly better the second time around, so next time, i may make it the day before.
best part about it? the hubs didn’t even know the sauce was actually a vegetable! sneaky sneaky.
You can find this and other foods i like on my Pinterest boards!